Dustin Mattison from TheFutureOfSupplyChains.com interviewed Edith Simchi-Levi who discussed the role of analytics in supply chain and operations strategy.
Most supply chain professionals are familiar with the book titled Designing and Managing the Supply Chain. Edith Simchi-Levi was one of the authors of this very well-received book talks about supply chain analytics. Supply chain analytics are used to solve logistics network modeling problems. Supply chain analytics and logistics network modeling is a source of competitive advantage for many companies. It allows them not only to understand what their business is doing, but also come up with new solutions and ideas for where they are going.
- The capabilities in the analytics themselves have improved quite a lot in the sense that you can solve bigger problems and much faster.
- In the context of supply chains, analytics are used to solve problems, such as network design, which can use optimization techniques.
- Analytics is an area of investment and competitive advantage because it helps you understand what your business is doing and find new solutions and ideas for where your business is going.
- Complexity has increased due to the Internet and there is more data available-
- Analytics requires a deep understanding of both supply chains and modeling techniques.
The interview in its entirety can be seen here.
About the Author
Dustin Mattison | Blogger on TheFutureOfSupplyChains.com
About the Interviewee
Edith Simchi-Levi | VP Operations